2012 Teacher Preparation Summary
Divisional New Teacher Academy
- Each occupational division offers a new teacher workshop to orient the instructor to the division,the CareerTech System and expectations for the program.
- Generally, the sessions are held in the summer, fall and spring. New Teacher Academy varies in formats and dates, depending on the needs of the division’s new teachers.
CareerTech Teacher Institute
- This 12-month training provides a unique quick start for beginning CareerTech teachers without
a degree in teacher education. Teachers with fewer than two years of CT teaching experience are
eligible to apply. Beginning teachers will learn critical classroom strategies and foundational skills
that have been proved to be effective in today’s CareerTech classroom.
- Oklahoma State University, in partnership with CareerTech, delivers this quick-start program.
Participants can obtain 12 hours of university credit that applies toward their standard teaching
certificate (nine of the 12 hours will meet nine hours of the basic 15 requirement) and meet most
CT Alternative Certification hour requirements.
All beginning CareerTech teachers have the option of completing the following:
- This program provides leadership and support to help guide new teachers through their first school year and, if needed, the second year. It is especially beneficial for alternatively and provisionally certified teachers.
- During induction, a team works together to develop a customized plan for achieving success in the classroom and mentors the new teacher.
All CareerTech teachers with at least five years of teaching experience are eligible to apply for:
CareerTech Master Teacher
- This program creates a professional learning community of outstanding teacher trainers who will evaluate their classroom practices and improve their skills to mastery level.
- Participants reflect on their teaching methods and expand their skills by integrating technology into their teaching practices.
Divisional New Teacher Academy:
State Program Administrator
CT Teacher Institute:
LaMecia Stidham – 405.743.5115–
Teacher Induction & CT Master Teacher:
Karen Skidmore – 405.743.5113 –