Plone System Requirements
OS, Memory, Hardware.
Plone - Guts
What makes up Plone? Plone System Requirements
- Operating System
Plone Operating System
- Plone can run on almost any modern operating system.
- Typically installed on a Linux distribution ex: OpenSuSe
- Offically: XP or later, OSX 10.4 or later, Linux 2.6 or later.
Plone Memory Requirements
- Plone can run on as little as 200MB to 300MB according to their documentation.
- There is a direct correlation between the speed of the site and RAM. Ex: As the site grows in content, users, product etc more RAM will be required for caching.
- We have traditionally used 1-2GB of RAM for our production sites.
- A single processor is fine for small deployments.
- We have used a single dual core AMD 64 processor for years for production sites.
- Recently we have virtualized and continue to only allocate a single processor.
- The CPU utilization is generally very low.
Plone Hardware (cont.)
- Storage requirements will naturally vary by project.
- Careertech production CMS weighs in at 164GB
- Horizon CMS just 5GB
- Traditionally we have used single SATA 7200RPM drives. Very low cost and have done well, going on 5 years.
- Software dependencies, not an inclusive list:
- libjpeg, readline, zlib, libbz2, libxslt, libxml2, python, gcc
- Note: allow your package manager to get these for you