Kelly's April 2015 Email Archive
Student Services Contacts – April is almost over! Please review information below and let me know what questions you may have. Summer conference online registration email will be coming in May!
OK Career Guide
As you probably know, after more than 18 months of careful examination and evaluation of online career systems, OK CareerTech is moving in an exciting new direction with OK Career Guide. Our 10 year partnership with Oklahoma Career Information System (OKCIS) will end on June 30th, 2015.
ODCTE is privileged to introduce OK Career Guide, coming in August 2015. Within OK Career Guide students will be able to:
- Create personal portfolios
- Take Assessments that link interests, skills and values to careers
- Students will be able research schools, occupations and scholarships with the same national databases that were available within OKCIS.
- Build new Education Plans specific to their school/district
- Build new resumes- But not just resumes, students can now complete a mock application, learn about & write a cover letter and learn how to use social media in their job search
- Take practice ACT/SAT tests
- Connect to business and industry
- Connect to post-secondary schools
- Research Military occupations
- Contains occupational & career cluster videos
- Personal financial literacy pieces
- Sort and compare assessment results
- And more….
How can you help your students navigate through the OK Career Guide adventure? Attached you will find a document with helpful tips to help you.
Feel free to contact Roberta Douglas, Career Development Specialist/OK Career Guide Coordinator with any additional questions you may have.
New Student Services Academy
Every July, the Career and Academic Connections Division host a New Student Services Academy. This 2-day workshop is for newly hired student services staff in the technology centers. The dates for this workshop are Tuesday, July 7 and Wednesday, July 8 here in Stillwater at ODCTE. More information will be sent out in May.
EXPLORE and PLAN Information
As you have likely heard or read, ACT is ending EXPLORE and PLAN and moving to an online assessment, ACT Aspire. The new assessment (Aspire) is simply beyond the Regents’ budget at this time to offer it at no cost to schools.
At this time, the Regents will:
1) Continue to offer the EXPLORE assessment one more year at no cost to the state’s 8th graders.
2) Offer the PLAN assessment at no cost to a limited number of selected sites for cohort research purposes only. It will be the exact same PLAN test as last year so that will make PLAN invalid as an alternate EOI assessment for Algebra I and Biology I.
In lieu of this, you can download a chart listing possible alternatives to the interest component of the PLAN test that Erica Harris and I compiled/developed. Soon, we will also compile a chart of possible alternatives for the achievement component of PLAN.
The 2015-2016 CIMC Catalog is now available! The full catalog PDF is available at our website: http://www.okcareertech.org/educators/cimc/catalog.
Instructional Framework Meeting: Change of Location
The location of the April 29 CareerTech Instructional Framework meeting that was originally scheduled at Great Plains Technology Center has been moved to Building 200, Room 2, at Canadian Valley Technology Center in Chickasha. If you have any questions about this meeting, please call Sheryl Hale at (405) 747-4504 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Kelly Arrington, Career and Academic Connections Manager
Oklahoma Department of CareerTech
1500 West 7th Avenue
Stillwater, OK 74074-4364