Kelly's February 2015 Email Archive
Student Services Contacts: February is such a fast moving month with lots of things happening: African American History Month, Career Tech Education Month, National School Counseling Week, American Heart Month, plus-Ground Hog Day, Valentine’s and Presidents Day!
Counselors Only Conference (At-a-glance agenda Attachment)
The Counselors Only Conference will be March 10, 2015. It will be held at the University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond in the Nigh University Center. Registration will be from 8:30 – 9:00. The conference will feature concurrent sessions and end with a key note speaker. The workshop will be from 9:00 – 2:45 with lunch on your own. Register now or click on: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/for-counselors-only-conference-2015-registration-14958179317
Some important information about the Counselors Only Conference:
- The Counselors Only Conference is a FREE conference.
- When you register, please print your ticket and bring it with you to registration.
- When you enter the parking lot take a parking ticket. If you leave the parking lot for lunch, tell the attendant you are with the Counselors Conference and keep your parking ticket. Re-enter the parking lot and you will pay $3.00 at the end of the day.
- Lunch options will be available on campus (there are several options) and at many restaurants nearby – a list will be provided at the conference
Education and Leadership Symposium (Attachment)
March 4, 2015
J.D. McCarty Center, 2002 East Robinson, Norman, OK 73070
The first Annual One Day Education and Leadership Symposium is scheduled for March 4, 2015 from 8:00 AM till 3:00 PM in Norman. There is no cost for this event-lunch will be served. We will have break outs on various aspects of Leadership and Speakers on the 21st Century Learner. D.J. Watts-Bowker, Oklahoma City School District will be our featured Keynote Speaker. The Opening Speakers will be LTC Patrick Tobey, Commander, United States Army Recruiting Command-Oklahoma City and Jana Krautbauer, Senior High School Counselor-Rush Springs High School.
If you have questions or to RSVP, please contact Allan using the information below. The attached flyer will provide additional information.
Allan J. Silberstein, MAEd, Education Services Specialist
U.S. Army Recruiting Bn, OKC
Oklahoma Association of Minorities in Career And Technology Education (OAMCTE) Essay Contest 2014-2015 (Application attached)
Every year, OAMCTE sponsors an essay contest for minority students. Students must meet all three of the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled and attending a Career and Technology Education class or program.
- A high school junior or senior.
- A member of a minority race.
The essay theme is “Why I Chose Career and Technology Education as Part of My Career Pathway.”
The postmarked deadline to submit essay is Friday, March 6, 2015. No emailed essays will be accepted. Monetary prizes are awarded to 1st through 3rd place. If you have questions, please contact: Carolyn Leach at (918) 746-8533; firstname.lastname@example.org
The Oklahoma Association on Higher Education and Disability Scholarship Opportunities
OK-AHEAD offers scholarship money to Oklahoma students with disabilities who plan to pursue post-secondary education. Applications must be postmarked on or before March 1, 2015. Scholarships can be applied at any Oklahoma technology center, or any two-year or four-year college or university. Three $500 scholarships are awarded annually. Graduating high school seniors and current post-secondary students may apply. For more information and an application, please visit the OK AHEAD website at http://ok-ahead.org/scholar.html.
Save The Date!!
Cooperative Alliance Workshop
Tuesday, March 24 at 1:30pm
PHF Conference Center, State Regents Office Building, Oklahoma City
Cooperative Alliance Update: Did you receive the February 2 Cooperative Alliance update from the Regents? If you would like to review that, please email me and I will forward you a copy and you can get on their email list if you so wish.
OKACTE Guidance Spring Workshop
Friday, April 10 at Metro Tech, Springlake Campus
One half day workshop – 8:30 am– 12:15 pm More details to come
Building Partners Conference for Oklahoma Families
March 24-25, 2015
Embassy Suites Norman, Hotel and Conference Center, 2501 Conference Drive,
Norman, OK 73069
Register online at: http://www.okhighered.org/partners-conf
•Homelessness, Resources and Collaboration
• Disability - Understanding, Awareness, Inclusion and Accessibility
• Working with Children in Generational Poverty – The R Rules
• Protecting Kids – the Good, the Bad and the Ugly of Child Welfare
• Fraud, Scams and Schemes: Protecting your Personal Information
• What Oklahoma needs to know about Aging Services
• Traumatic Stress and Resilience
• Relieving Stress in the Workplace
• Combating Barriers for Felons
Kelly Arrington, Career and Academic Connections Manager
Oklahoma Department of CareerTech
1500 West 7th Avenue
Stillwater, OK 74074-4364