Director's Weekly Memo 2015-6-22
Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles; it empties today of its strength.” – Mary Engelbreit
CareerTech Foundation golf tournament set Aug. 2
The Oklahoma CareerTech Foundation golf tournament will be held Aug. 2 at LaFortune Park Golf Course, 5501 S. Yale, Tulsa. The four-person scramble will have a shotgun start at 8 a.m.
The tournament is a fundraiser for the foundation, which provides teacher recruitment and retention scholarships. Cost is $90 per player and includes lunch, green fee, cart and two mulligans. Each team must have a minimum handicap of 50; 25 is the maximum allowed per player.
Prizes will be awarded for first place/flight, second place team/flight, hole in one and longest drive. The tournament will be flighted based on team participation. There will be a $5 per player split the pot (closest to the pin) contest.
According to tournament organizers, golfers do not need to be avid golfers to participate. It is a great opportunity to support a worthwhile cause.
Several sponsorships are available: gold, $1,000, which includes four players; silver, $600, which includes two players; and bronze, $300.
For more information and to register, please visit http://www.okcareertech.org/about/foundation/golf-tournament-2015/2015GolfFlyerfillable.pdf.
OK Career Guide training planned
OK Career Guide is the NEW online career planning system for Oklahoma, and it is coming in August. Training on the new system will be available across Oklahoma for educators, counselors, advisers and others in August and September. Registration is now open for those training events. Space is limited, so sign up today for training in your area. Sign up at http://www.okcareertech.org/educators/career-and-academic-connections/okcareerguide-training.
End of year review given
For the next few weeks, a summary of the year will be provided in the weekly memo. Here is the first in the series, reviewing some of CareerTech’s specific activities that affect economic development and education in Oklahoma.
• Actively engaged with and provided crucial workforce training resource information for more than 30 business attraction/retention/expansion projects.
• Connected exiting Army soldiers from Fort Sill with training and job opportunities.
• Coordinated three hiring events that hosted up to 80 companies that met with more than 600 jobseekers, leading to 85 new hires.
• Actively supported the development of Career Pathways in a public/private partnership that focused on manufacturing jobs.
• During the period ending July 31, 2014, the Oklahoma Bid Assistance Network assisted 1,436 companies in winning contracts valued at $440 million.
• Awarded $3.3 million in lottery grants for comprehensive schools and technology centers.
• Distributed $12,830,053 in FY16 Carl Perkins grants.
• Implemented the Business and Industry Services performance-based funding process.
• Implemented regional concept with nine coordinators serving four regions.
• Dispersed to technology centers $3,621,352 in performance-based funding:
– 383,480 safety hours.
– 493,742 customized training hours.
– 877,222 total contact hours.
– 4,663 companies served to date.
48th Annual Oklahoma Career and Technology Education Summer Conference
This year’s summer conference is scheduled for Aug. 3-4 at the Tulsa Cox Convention Center. The keynote presentation will be titled “Making an Impact,” by Dr. Rick Rigsby.
Attendees will also have the opportunity to choose one of five 90-minute spotlight sessions designed to motivate, educate and inspire! Please check the CareerTech web page for details on these presentations.
Oklahoma Horizon Schedule
For daily news about Oklahoma’s CareerTech System, follow us on Twitter at @okcareertech and find us on Facebook at OKCareerTech.
State Agency Assistance at a Glance
National Center for Research in Career and Technical Education
Lifelong Learning Foundations newsletters
Summer conference registration
CareerTech Hall of Fame
My schedule for the week
This schedule is subject to change without notice:
National Governors Association Talent Pipeline Academy
CareerTech board meeting
Oklahoma Management and Enterprise Services
Governor’s Council meeting