Frequently Asked Questions
FAQs for the CareerTech ID Security Data Release - June 28, 2012
- A file containing personally identifiable information was inadvertently uploaded to the Oklahoma CareerTech website.
What information was included?
- The file contained personal information such as name, date of birth and Social Security number.
Whose information was released?
- Nearly 6,000 high school seniors who were attending technology centers during the ’08-’09 school year.
How will I know if my information was included?
- CareerTech is notifying all students who may have been affected by the data release.
When did it happen?
- The data release was discovered June 25, 2012. However, the file was posted in December 2011.
Do we know if anyone accessed it?
- The file was first publicly accessed in February.
Where was it posted?
- The information was inadvertently placed into a public folder on the website.
What steps are being taken to prevent release of personal information?
- CareerTech and Office of State Finance-Information Security Division are implementing an extensive remediation plan, including staff education, change controls, new accountability measures and revisions to current policies and procedures.
What is CareerTech doing to assist those whose data was released?
- CareerTech has created a website for further education, established a toll-free information line to address concerns of the affected students and is offering credit monitoring services.
Where can I find more information?
- The CareerTech ID Security Websitewww.okcareertech.org/idsecurity
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Toll-free Information Line - 1-800-951-9555
CareerTech representatives will be available to answer questions Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
Is the file still accessible to the public?
- No. The file was removed within minutes of its discovery on June 25.
What can I do to secure my identity?
- Closely monitor financial accounts and report any suspicious activity immediately. (Please see the Resources section of this website for more information.)
Is CareerTech aware of any identity theft occurring as a result of the release of this information?
- As of today, CareerTech is not aware of any identity thefts occurring as a result of this data release. CareerTech takes security of student information seriously and wants to take every precaution to help students keep their information secure.