Health Science Careers Certification for Educators
Policies and Procedures
Certification/licensure is not required of Health Careers Education (HCE) instructors who will be teaching only adult students; however, certification/licensure is required if even a single high school student is enrolled in the program.
It is the responsibility of the teacher to keep his/her teaching certificate current.
The CareerTech education certification process addresses the needs of career and technology education teachers and administrators. This process is coordinated by the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education in conjunction with the Oklahoma State Department of Education. Please refer to the CareerTech Teacher Certification and Preparation site for information concerning the necessary steps for obtaining the appropriate credentials.
- Testing: Testing is NOT required for Health Careers Education teachers. Industry credentials are required.
- Fees: All new applicants must pay an initial $50 fee. There will be no fee for renewing a Provisional I for four (4) consecutive years following payment of the initial $50 fee, unless you wish to received an additional copy.
- State Department of Eduction (SDE) Website: For additional assistance with the website go to https://oecsweb.sde.state.ok.us/SSO/Login/Login.aspx to access the Users' Manual.
- Standard Certification Coursework and Class Schedules:
- A&P Credit
In addition to the above requirements, all teachers must attend the annual Summer Conference and any other called professional meetings or workshops for certification and/or re-certification, A telephone call of explanation followed by a letter to the State Program Manager is required if the teacher is going to miss a meeting. Absences must be approved by the State Program Manager.
Resources and Forms:
- Superintendent's Verification of Employment
- Map to the Oliver Hodge Bldg, State Dept of Education
- Fingerprinting: Initiate a http://www.l1enrollment.com/state/?st=ok for locations and scheduling information. This is required for all new teachers, as a Teaching Certificate will NOT be issued until results are received by the State Department of Education. Two options are available for fingerprinting: you may have prints taken at the State Department of Education or at one of the SDE satellite sites around the state. See the link above for more information, or the link at
- Background Check: http://www.education.state.ok.us/Teacher/ProfStand/pdf/AppCriminalHist.pdf
CareerTech Health Careers Education
State Program Manager
Health Careers Education
Oklahoma Department of
Career and Technology Education
1500 West Seventh Avenue
Stillwater, Oklahoma 74074-4364
University of Central Oklahoma:
Oklahoma State University:
Dr. Mary Jo Self
Occupational Education Studies
School of Teaching and Curriculum Leadership
207 Willard Hall
Stillwater, OK 74078